To help raise funds to provide essential care for seriously ill local children and their families, we sell donated furniture, electrical goods, home furnishings, table wear, ornaments, books and CDs.
What will you gain from the role?
· A chance to learn and develop retailing skills and undertake our Retail Skills Programme, if you would like to.
· You can gain valuable work experience to put on your CV, if you are looking for employment.
· Do your Duke of Edinburgh volunteering hours with Hope House
· Improve your personal statement and enhance university applications
· Share existing skills and experience, perhaps helping to support other volunteers
· Keep active and use your time in a constructive and rewarding way
· Build confidence in customer service and talking to people
· The opportunity to meet new people, make new friends working as part of a varied team and have fun!!
What will you be doing?
You can choose, but some of the regular tasks include:
· Receiving and sorting donated goods
· Helping to move furniture around the shop
· Polishing furniture
· Preparing smaller items for sale
· Arranging items on the shop floor and shelves
· Keeping the shop and warehouse area clean and tidy
· Serving customers at the till
· Promoting our gift aid Daisy Card
What support will you be given?
The shop manager will introduce you to the team and take you through all the things you need to know before you get started. If using the till or any moving/lifting equipment, you will be given training and support until you feel confident.
What skills/experience are needed?
You don’t need any specific skills, although an interest in, and knowledge of, furniture would be very helpful to us.
We are looking for volunteers who are:
· friendly and outgoing with a good sense of humour
· able to talk to all age groups
· have lots of common sense and are able to follow instructions
If you are willing to help us move furniture, you must be physically fit enough to bend and lift weights of up to 15-20kg.
When will you be needed?
We are open seven days a week, so any time you would like to give will be great! You can come in for a taster session to see what it’s like first, if you want to. Or come along with a friend. How often and how long you volunteer for is up to you but it helps us if you are able to do a regular slot each week or fortnight.
Unit 3, Lancaster Retail Park, Brixton Way, Battlefield (next to Iceland)
If this opportunity appeals, we would love to hear from you. Please either call in at the shop or fill in the volunteer application form below then return it to Hope House or telephone the Volunteering Team on 01691 679679.